Quantum®. is an independent professional Quantity Surveying consultancy with significant experience in commercial and residential construction, including weathertightness remediation work, seismic strengthening and expert witness work.
Our Clients include government, regional authorities, insurance companies, property investment companies, property developers, project management consultants, multinational main contractors, architects, solicitors, body corporates, & private individuals.
Quantum® brings the international knowledge and experience of a large corporate, gleaned from many years consulting to some of the world’s largest construction companies, along with the personal attention, dedicated service and cost efficiency of a boutique professional consultancy.
Quantum®’s director Daniel Johnson has been providing an array of consultancy services to a large and diverse range of local and international clientele for over 20 years, on projects totaling in excess of $3 billion dollars, including significant iconic projects such as Wembley Stadium (London), Canary Wharf (London), Whitehall (London), Skycity Casino, Skytower, Sylvia Park, and Westfield Albany.
Daniel Johnson is a diploma qualified Quantity Surveyor, a member of the Society of Construction
Law, a member of the New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors, appointed to the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employments (MBIE) panel of cost estimator experts, one of only 5 approved MBIE Financial Assistance Package cost reviewers in the country and an ANZ, ASB, BNZ and Westpac approved Quantity Surveyor.
Quantum® has advised the New Zealand Bankers Association regarding implementation of the Escrow Agreement process, the National Fire Service regarding special conditions of contract to be used nationally, and regularly consults with the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment.
- Quantum® . has been involved in a large number of projects such as the following most recent examples:
- 340 Onehunga Mall,
Onehunga, Auckland ($22million, 4storey plus podium basement, 51no. units)
- 300 Onehunga Mall,
Onehunga, Auckland ($19million, 6storeys, 2storey podium basement, 27no. units
incl office and retail)
- Mokoia Views, Birkenhead, Auckland
($15million, 6storeys plus 2storey basement, 40no. units)
- Alba Apartments,
Albany, Auckland ($37million, 7no. 5storey buildings plus full podium basement
66no units, 6no. retail)
- Shortland Street, Auckland, ($170million,
39storeys, 4storeys basement, 179no units, incl 8storeys of office, and retail)
- The Avenue, Albany, Auckland, ($5million,
2storeys, 48no. units)
- Grafton Ridge, Grafton, Auckland, ($4million,
4storeys, 20no. units)
- Paramount, Mt Maunganui, ($3million,
4storeys, 40no. units)
- The Quays, Viaduct, Auckland, ($1.5million,
4storeys, 63no. units)
- Parnell Rd, Parnell, Auckland ($550,000 3storeys,
- Mokoia Rd, Birkenhead, ($2.5million,
6storeys, 20no. units)
- Siena Terraces, Newton, Auckland ($5million,
- Mayfair Villas, Auckland, (2storeys, 20 no.
- Hobson Towers, City, Auckland ($5million
12storeys, 40no. units)
- Waikato Regional Council, City, Hamilton
- Blake St, Ponsonby, Auckland, (6storeys,
- The Esplanade, Whitianga, ($3million,
4storeys, 20no. units)
- The Anchorage, Mt Maunganui ($9million, 5
storeys, 68no. units)
- Gladstone Apartments, Parnell, Auckland
(6storeys, 68no. units)
- The Cascades, Mt Maunganui ($3.2million,
4storeys, 14no. units)
- 132 Grafton Rd, Auckland ($1.3million,
3storeys, 6no. units)
- Main Highway Ellerslie, $3.5million, 3
storey, 30no. units)
- Accent, City, Auckland $4.7million, 9storeys,
- Bridgewater, Paihia ($2million, 4storeys,
- Salisbury Crown, Mt Maunganui, ($3.6million, 4storeys,16no.
- 508 Queen St, City, Auckland ($4million,
11storeys, 130no. units)
- Gore St, City, Auckland ($10million,
37storeys, 393no. Units)
- City Gardens, Auckland ($20million,
23storeys, 199no. Units)
- Hargreaves St, Ponsonby, Auckland ($4million,
5storeys, 40no. units)
- Belle Mer, Mt Maunganui ($1.5million,
3storeys, 16no. units)
- Scene One, City, Auckland (16 storeys)
- Avoka, Auckland, 12 storeys, 64no. units
- Bella Vista, Te Atatu, Auckland (6storeys,
- Kingslander, (6 storeys, 82no. units)
- Imperial Gardens, City, Auckland (14 storeys
- Aintree, Remuera, Auckland, (2 storeys, 59no.
- Freeman Way, Manukau, Auckland (3 storeys,
- Charles St, Mt Eden, Auckland (3storeys
- Lyon Ave, St Lukes, Auckland ( 3storeys,
- Luna, Grafton, Auckland $20million (6 storeys
plus 2basement, 121no. units,
- Bay Palms, Browns Bay, Auckland $15million (3
storeys, 65no. units)
- Regency Apartments, City, Auckland (5
- Westward Park, Glen Eden, Auckland $6million
(3 storey, 66no. units)
- Arthur St, Onehunga, Auckland
- Westward Park Stage 2, Glen Eden, Auckland
- Mount Central, Mt Maunganui (4storey plus
basement, 55no. units)
- Cayman, Mt Maunganui (6storey plus basement,
- Reef Apartments, Mt Maunganui
- The Block II for Eyeworks, 4no. high spec
- The Block III for Eyeworks, 4no. new build
high spec residential development
- The Block IV for Eyeworks, apartment building
conversion and seismic upgrade
- Te Atatu Fire Station, Auckland ($3.0million
- Takapuna Fire Station, 83 Wairau Road,
Takapuna ($4millon new build)
- Paihia Fire Station, 25 Selwyn Road, Paihia
($1.3million new build)
- East Coast Bays Fire Station, Auckland.
- The Grounds, Hobsonville, Auckland
- Epsom Aged Care, Epsom, Auckland
- Mount Royale, Mount Maunganui
- Parnell Terraces, Parnell, Auckland $22million,
3storeys, 81no. units)
We have recently prepared expert evidence for the following multi-unit projects:
- Eden 1 – $20million, 83no. units (Hazelton Law)
- Blake St – $4million, 60no. units (Adina Thorn)
- Fern Gardens – $5million, 72no. units (Russell McVeagh)
- Hobson Gardens – 130no. units (Hesketh Henry)
- St Benedict St - $7million (Jones Fee)
- Parkwood Apartments (Kensington Swan)
- Ellerslie Oaks – 50no. units (Hazelton Law)
- Rankin Ave - $2.3million (20 units) (Queen City Law)
- Nautilus – 111no.units (Kensington Swan)
- Grafton Ridge $4million, 20units (Grimshaw & Co.)
- Marina Park $4million, 64units (Grimshaw & Co.)
- The Esplanade, ($3million, 4storeys, 20no. units) (Grimshaw & Co.)
- The Anchorage, ($5.5million, 5 storeys, 68no. units) (Grant Brittain)
- Main Highway Ellerslie, $3.5million, 3 storey, 30no. units) (Adina Thorn)
- Gore St, City, ($10million, 37storeys, 393no. Units) (Grimshaw & Co.)
- City Gardens, ($20million, 23storeys, 199no. Units) (Grimshaw & Co.)
- Hargreaves St, ($4million, 5storeys, 40no. units) (Grimshaw & Co.)
- Imperial Gardens, (14 storeys 275no. units) (Grimshaw & Co.)
- Phoenix Gardens, Grafton, Auckland
- Wharf St, Tauranga (Glaister Ennor)
- Gladstone Apartments Parnell, Auckland
($10milliion, 6storeys, 68no. units) (Rainey)
- Arts Centre, Christchurch ($9million, Seismic
- Kilmore St, Christchurch ($21million, 4storey
commercial office and retail building) (Rainey)
- Uptown Apartments, 83 New North Rd, ($12million, 4storeys, 60units, 5commercial)
- Orewa Grand ($14.2million, 3storeys, 34no.
- Incodo vs Kopcoat (commercial contract
- Waterfront, Napier (Grimshaw)
- West Quay, Napier
A few of our recent achievements include the following:
1st in the country for accuracy of estimates, based on a recent review of
19 companies by the Ministry for Building, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
1st successful Financial Assistance Package (FAP) application in the country
for Multi Unit.
1st successful FAP application in the country for a Stand Alone house.
- Achieved a $260,000 increase to the FAP payment for Paramount.
- Achieved a $100,000 increase to the FAP payment for The Avenue.
Quantum has been involved in the remediation of over 40 Multi-unit apartments nationally, and approx. 33% of all multi-unit Financial Assistance Package claims in the country. – more than any other QS company in the country.
- The following list of referees is for your information:
- New Zealand Fire Service - Mal Tipton,
National Property Manager, Ph 09 438 9647
- Strata Title Administration – Tom Wilson,
Body Corporate Manager Ph 09 307 3721
- Kevin Miles – Body Corporate Committee Ph 029
- David Strong - Body Corporate Committee Ph
021 848 702
- Quay Property Management - David Shea,
Director Ph 07 578 9182
- Reveal Building Consultants – Nick Gaites,
Director Ph 09 281 9398
- Boutique Body Corporates Ltd – Craig
Leishman, Director Ph 09 524 9785
- Scope Strata Management Ltd. - Steve Plummer,
Managing Director Ph 09 320 5215
- The Development Collective – Bayard McKenzie,
Director Ph 022 674 7822
- Cove Kinloch – Ted Armitage, Operations
Manager, Ph 09 349 0217
- IPMS – Martyn Cleary, Project Manager Ph 07
- Rainey Law - Jeanne Heatlie, Partner Ph 09
- McElroys – James Heard, Solicitor, Ph 307
Quantum® can provide assistance right from project inception, including
preparing feasibility studies, preliminary budget estimates, elemental estimates,
recommendation and appointment of design team consultants, design cost management,
schedule of quantities, value engineering, tender preparation and evaluation, contract
preparation, contract administration, progress claim evaluation, payment schedule
preparation, variation claim evaluation, final account evaluation, and project management
of construction through to completion.
We are based in Auckland and undertake work all over New Zealand including Northland,
Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Gisborne, Wellington, Marlborough and Otago.
Our technical ability, vast experience, in depth knowledge, thorough and fastidious
no-nonsense approach and robust and reliable processes in project cost control,
adds value throughout the duration of the project from inception to completion.
Ability in preparing preliminary estimates to establish the project budget, carrying
out value engineering to identify potential cost savings, preparation of thorough
contract documentation, stringent tender evaluation, and disciplined contract administration
ensures a tight rein is kept on the project cost control.
Our detailed knowledge of contractual processes, the specific requirements of conditions
of contract, and significant experience as a renowned Expert Witness in dispute
resolution adds contractual expertise to our technical strengths.
Quantum® prides itself on the frequency of repeat business which
is testimony to Quantum's Clients' satisfaction. What some of our recent clients
have to say:
- “the utmost professional…approachable, highly professional… high quality and efficient service…one of the best…providing sensible solutions to challenging situations in a complex process.”
Phillip Tai, Technical Manager, Weathertight Services, Resolution Services, Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment
- "very professional and reliable…a dedicated team who have high attention to detail and are able to identify potential issues and devise ways to mitigate potential conflict/claims…total confidence in their abilities.. no hesitation in recommending them to any prospective corporation”
Mal Tipton, National Property Manager, New Zealand Fire Service
- "Total dedication to the job at hand has been impressive..total professionalism and attention to detail. He has saved us many thousands of dollars"
Body Corporate Chairman, Siena Terraces.
- "I cannot recommend Daniel more highly... His efficient no nonsense approach to the issues was impressive.. Our only regret would be that we did not have Daniel involved at an earlier stage"
Michael Otto, Director, Otto Bloodstock Ltd.
- "Without doubt the most competent Quantity Surveyor I have ever had the pleasure of working with"
Dave Weir, Director, Carnoustie Project Management Ltd.
- “always performed in a timely and constructive manner..level headed and consistent…position has at all times been protected...fair and proper… transparent and efficient…extremely capable”
Craig Leishman, Director, Boutique Body Corporates Ltd.
- “very professional … the quality and accuracy of the information provided is of a very high standard.”
Jonathan Hawksworth, Director, Black Box Architects
- over 10years on projects over $100million including 20mulit-unit apartment complexes and 5 high rise complexes “always have a professional attitude with timely delivery and ..add value to the project…no hesitation in recommending Quantum”
Ted Armitage, Technical Team Operations Manager, Cove Kinloch New Zealand Ltd.
- sterling performance… your assistance ensured we received a landmark settlement.. our decision to engage you was one of the best we made…responsible for delivery of the contract $289k UNDER the contracted amount…a great outcome”
Marcia Thomas, Body Corporate Chairperson, 53 Main Highway.
- recommended as project manager...integrity in handling client affairs…insightful when presenting costings
Russell Ballantyne, Senior Body Corporate Manager, Centurion Management Services.
- deepest appreciation...worked tirelessly to get a result...
formidable defence... invaluable counsel that you gave in a time [of] need...
acted in a highly professional and timely manner throughout...combined expert
service with compassionate understanding...highly competent and thoroughly
engaged with us as clients to truly understand our needs...no hesitation in
recommending this highly qualified and proficient organization. Robbie &
Fiona Burns, Client
When you deal with Quantum® you benefit from the hands on involvement
and personal attention of a Director of the company.
We are proud of our ability to add significant value to projects throughout the process for example:
Supplier Cost Savings
We have achieved substantial savings of over $665,000 on Auckland Sound Stages; $415,000 on Aintree Apartments and $285,000 on Mokoia Views Apartments, through deft negotiation and agreement of project specific supplier cost savings in addition to normal trade discounts.
We also achieved substantial savings of $500,000 and 6month shorter programme by negotiation with alternative contractors on Mokoia Views.
We have achieved substantial savings of over $825,000 on Mokoia Views Apartments by reviewing design documentation in liaison with Architect and Engineer to explore alternative materials/products/construction methodology to achieve cost saving measures.
during contract administration, we have achieved substantial savings of over $225,000 on Siena Terraces, $450,000 on The Avenue, $390,000 on The Quays Apartments, $185,000 on Paramount Apartments, $175,000 on Waikato Regional Council, $575,000 on Mokoia Rd, $415,000 on Esplanade, $205,000 on Lyon Ave and $475,000 on Main Highway, and $768,000 on Mays Rd to name just a few examples. (all figures include GST)
The accuracy of our estimates is testament to our significant ability and
fastidious attention to detail, including the following recent examples:
508 Queen Street ($4million, 11storeys, 130no. units) within 4% of
Cascades Apartments ($2million, 4storeys, 14no. units) within 6% of our estimate
Anchorage Apartments, Tauranga ($5.5million, 5 storeys, 68no. units) within 4%
of our estimate.
Quantum® would be delighted to be involved in your next project,
and invite you to contact us to discuss how we can be of service.