Quantum®. is an independent professional Quantity Surveying consultancy with significant experience in commercial and residential construction, including weathertightness remediation work, seismic strengthening and expert witness work.
Our Clients include government, regional authorities, insurance companies, property investment companies, property developers, project management consultants, multinational main contractors, architects, solicitors, body corporates, & private individuals.
Quantum® brings the international knowledge and experience of a large corporate, gleaned from many years consulting to some of the world’s largest construction companies, along with the personal attention, dedicated service and cost efficiency of a boutique professional consultancy.
Quantum®’s director Daniel Johnson has been providing an array of consultancy services to a large and diverse range of local and international clientele for over 30 years, on projects totaling in excess of $3 billion dollars, including significant iconic projects such as Wembley Stadium (London), Canary Wharf (London), Whitehall (London), Skycity Casino, Skytower, Sylvia Park, and Westfield Albany.
Daniel Johnson is a diploma qualified Quantity Surveyor, a member of the Society of Construction Law, a member of the New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors, appointed to the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employments (MBIE) panel of cost estimator experts, one of only 5 approved MBIE Financial Assistance Package cost reviewers in the country and an ANZ, ASB, BNZ and Westpac approved Quantity Surveyor.
Quantum® has advised the New Zealand Bankers Association regarding implementation of the Escrow Agreement process, the National Fire Service regarding special conditions of contract to be used nationally, and regularly consults with the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment.
A few of our recent achievements include the following:
- New Zealand Institute Of Building (NZIOB) Award Finalist - substantial savings
- 2018 Award Finalist - achieved substantial savings (over $768,000 on a $4million project)
- 2020 Award Nominee - achieved substantial savings (over $1,800,000 or 58% of variations) on an $11million project)
- 2021 Award Finalist - achieved substantial savings (over $987,000 or 18% of variations)
- 2022 Award Nomination - achieved substantial savings (approx $402,000 or 31% of variations)
- 1st in the country for accuracy of estimates, based on a recent review of 19 companies by the Ministry for Building, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
- 1st successful Financial Assistance Package (FAP) application in the country for Multi Unit.
- 1st successful FAP application in the country for a Stand Alone house.
- Achieved a $260,000 increase to the FAP payment for Paramount.
- Achieved a $100,000 increase to the FAP payment for The Avenue.
- Parnell Terraces, Parnell, Auckland $22million, 3storeys, 81no. units) we were engaged to rescue the project taking over from a large national consultant, we have achieved substantial savings of $3,700,000 in just the first few months.
- Rose Gardens Stage 1, Albany, Auckland $80million, (6storeys, 201no. units and 15no. commercial units)we were engaged to review the final account, variation claims and EOT claims after it had already been received and evaluated by a large national consultant, we identified substantial savings of $3,000,000 in amendments
Quantum has been involved in the remediation of over 50 Multi-unit apartments nationally, and approx. 33% of all multi-unit Financial Assistance Package claims in the country. – more than any other company in the country.
Quantum® can provide assistance right from project inception, including
preparing feasibility studies, preliminary budget estimates, elemental estimates,
recommendation and appointment of design team consultants, design cost management,
schedule of quantities, value engineering, tender preparation and evaluation, contract
preparation, contract administration, progress claim evaluation, payment schedule
preparation, variation claim evaluation, final account evaluation, and project management
of construction through to completion.
We are based in Auckland and undertake work all over New Zealand including Northland,
Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Gisborne, Wellington, Marlborough and Otago.
Our technical ability, vast experience, in depth knowledge, thorough and fastidious
no-nonsense approach and robust and reliable processes in project cost control,
adds value throughout the duration of the project from inception to completion.
Ability in preparing preliminary estimates to establish the project budget, carrying
out value engineering to identify potential cost savings, preparation of thorough
contract documentation, stringent tender evaluation, and disciplined contract administration
ensures a tight rein is kept on the project cost control.
Our detailed knowledge of contractual processes, the specific requirements of conditions
of contract, and significant experience as a renowned Expert Witness in dispute
resolution adds contractual expertise to our technical strengths.
Exemplary Track Record
We are proud of our ability to add significant value to projects throughout the process for example:
Supplier Cost Savings
We have achieved substantial savings of over $665,000 on Auckland Sound Stages; $415,000 on Aintree Apartments and $285,000 on Mokoia Views Apartments, through deft negotiation and agreement of project specific supplier cost savings in addition to normal trade discounts.
We also achieved substantial savings of $500,000 and 6month shorter programme by negotiation with alternative contractors on Mokoia Views.
We have achieved substantial savings of over $2million on Beach Rd Apartments by reviewing design documentation in liaison with Architect and Engineer to explore alternative materials/products/construction methodology to achieve cost saving measures.
during contract administration, we have achieved substantial savings of over $225,000 on Siena Terraces, $450,000 on The Avenue, $390,000 on The Quays Apartments, $185,000 on Paramount Apartments, $175,000 on Waikato Regional Council, $575,000 on Mokoia Rd, $415,000 on Esplanade, $205,000 on Lyon Ave and $475,000 on Main Highway, and $768,000 on Mays Rd, $865,000 (17%) on Charles St and $1,806,000 (58% of variations, 18% of Final Account), and Aintree Apartments $987,000 (17% of variations) to name just a few examples. (all figures include GST)
The accuracy of our estimates is testament to our significant ability and
fastidious attention to detail, including the following recent examples:
508 Queen Street ($4million, 11storeys, 130no. units) within 4% of
Cascades Apartments ($2million, 4storeys, 14no. units) within 6% of our estimate
Anchorage Apartments, Tauranga ($5.5million, 5 storeys, 68no. units) within 4%
of our estimate.
- Beach Rd ($17million, 4storey, mid-rise apartments) within<1.5% of our estimate.
Quantum® would be delighted to be involved in your next project,
and invite you to contact us to discuss how we can be of service.